Chicken Cordon Bleu is the perfect dish for a chilly fall evening. It’s warm, comforting and full of flavor! This chicken cordon bleu recipe will not only impress your family but also make your mouth water. The creamy butter sauce that coats the juicy seasoned chicken strips creates an elegant presentation while still being easy to prepare with just a few ingredients. All you need are some boneless skinless chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, flour or cornstarch (optional), eggs beaten with milk or water (to make the batter), oil for frying and all-purpose flour for dredging – plus two slices of deli ham and two slices of Swiss cheese per person.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 slices deli ham
8 slices baby Swiss cheese
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¾ c.all-purpose flour
1 T. Italian seasoning, divided
1 t. garlic powder
2 large eggs
1/3 c. water
1½ c. panko bread crumbs
¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
Creamy Butter Sauce Ingredients:
1½ c. chicken broth
¼ c. Greek yogurt
¼ c. heavy cream
2 T. Dijon mustard
¼ c. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¼ c. all-purpose flour
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
¼ Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a large, rimmed baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven and line it with parchment paper or a SilpatTM baking mat. Set aside.
2. Place the chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet or rolling pin until they are about ¼” thick. Top each breast half with 2 slices of deli ham and Swiss cheese.
3. Tuck the chicken breasts in a jelly roll. Season with salt and black pepper to taste, then set aside.
4. In a small container, combine the flour, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then stir well. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing dish, combine the chicken stock with the milk. Add the eggs and water to another mixing container and whisk until combined. Set aside.
6. In a third mixing dish, add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning. Stir lightly to combine with additional salt and black pepper if desired. Allow to set aside.
7. Season the flour with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour until coated on all sides. Then wrap the floured breasts in egg wash and roll them to ensure they are well-coated. Finally, coat them in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to ensure they are well-coated.
8. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an internal temperature of less than 165°F is reached on an instant-read thermometer after removing from the oven. (After resting, the temperature will rise several degrees.)
9. When the chicken is almost done in the oven, mix together the broth that you have, Greek yogurt, heavy cream and mustard. Stir to combine and set it aside.
10. Put the butter in a pan and heat it on medium. Remove the lumps with a whisk, and add flour. Mix until all of it is blended together without any lumps.
11. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together well. Continue to cook for several minutes longer, whisking frequently, until the sauce thickens and warms through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
12. Slice the chicken as soon as possible, after removing it from the oven. Wait several moments before cutting the chicken so that it may cool completely. Serve immediately with butter sauce or other sides of your choice. We hope you enjoy making Creamy Butter Sauce Chicken Cordon Bleu !
RELATED POSTS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN: