If you’re looking for a new dish to try this fall, look no further than this Stuffed Butternut Squash with Apple & Sausage is a dish that will have your family coming back for seconds. with Apple & Sausage recipe. It’s hearty and healthy, perfectly filling for those cool evenings where comfort food is necessary.
It couldn’t be easier either so you can whip it up in just minutes!
We recommend pairing it with some fresh greens or a big salad on the side to make it a complete meal. And don’t forget dessert – we’ve included recipes below of two different pies that would go great with this dish! Enjoy!
Alternative for a milder dish, substitute half-pound spicy and half-pound mild Italian sausage for one whole pound. If you want to balance the sweet with some additional brown sugar, do so before baking.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 70-80 minutes
Non-stick cooking spray
2 butternut squash, cut in half, seeds and pulp removed
3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely minced
½ red onion, chopped
1½ c. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 lb. spicy bulk Italian sausage
2 T. fresh sage leaves, julienned
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into small chunks
2 t. ground cinnamon
4 oz. walnuts, chopped
3 T. cold butter, cut into small chunks
2 T. brown sugar (optional)
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Set the top oven rack in the middle and preheat it ahead of time.
2. Spray two halves of butternut squash with non-stick cooking spray in a 13 x 9″ glass baking dish. Place the cut side up in the glass dishes with butternuts halves, then lightly oil the edges.
3. Place both dishes in the oven to heat through. Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until soft enough to scoop out with a spoon. (Actual baking time will vary depending on individual oven temperature, size of the squash, and how ripe it is.)
4. While the squash is roasting, add the remaining olive oil, garlic, and onion to a large pan set over medium heat. Sauté until the onions begin to soften and acquire color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
5. When the mixture is still hot, after about 30 seconds, add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become some color and begin to release their liquid.
6. In a large skillet, add the sausage and cook until it is mostly brown, about 6-8 minutes. While it cooks, break up the sausage using a spatula or wooden spoon.
7. Add apples, chopped sage, and cinnamon to the onion. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the apples are soft, stirring occasionally.
8. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the ground beef, peas, and broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the meat is nearly done (do not overcook). Remove from heat and drain any excess liquid if necessary. Stir in walnuts.
9. Remove squash from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
10. Next, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out all of its insides. You want to make sure you don’t puncture any skins during this process! When finished with one shell type, place it back onto a baking dish before doing so for each new variety that will be added on top – making sure they are layered right next together as well instead of separated by some distance apart.
11. Add the cooked squash to your apple-sausage mixture and gently fold together until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Make sure to cut the cooked squash into bite-sized chunks.
12. Spoon the apples and sausage mixture into your squash shells until they are full. Top with chunks of butter, brown sugar or honey if desired then grate over some Parmesan cheese to finish off this delicious dish!
13. When the filling has cooked, put it in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is heated through and nicely browned. Remove from the oven and top with Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley, if desired, before serving.
Stuffed Butternut Squash with Apple & Sausage is a dish that will have your family coming back for seconds. Stuffed butternuts squash are roasted until soft and then filled with apple sausage, walnuts, butter, Parmesan cheese, and more. This dish can be enjoyed as a complete meal or side to any other food you’re serving up on the table this holiday season! Give it a try – we know you’ll love it!
RELATED POSTS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN: